Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Not the best day

Where does this story even start? I guess chronologically, it began at 15. On the back roads of Weld County with my dad repeating (in ever increasing volume) to "stay out of the trash!" Meaning, I like to hug the outside of the road. I have this un-overcome-able fear of getting smashed in the face. Be it by a ball (I can't NOT flinch) or an oncoming car or whatever. Did I mention this has been un-overcome-able?

Now it's day 12 of our fast, day 3 with Justin working on the big island, and our day was stretching out before us with little hope. Ok, that might be a bit dramatic. Anyways, Avery asked if we could go to the beach. I have not taken the girls by myself for 2 reasons. One, the road is rough. Wrench your axle, pop your tire rough. Second, I was leery of being alone at the beach with my girls.


This is what the beach usually looks like during the week. Usually amazing. So the girls beg to go, and I relent. I call Justin to tell him where we're headed and give some nice ladies a lift on the way. Everything is going great. We're cruising through the forest, swerving between trees (I may have forgotten to say I also like to drive fast), fishtailing in the sand just a wee bit and BAM BAM!!! I'd been of course hugging the bushes on the passenger side...where a tree stump was hiding...which removed both side mirrors from the car (there is, well, was a mini one at the front corner) and gouging a cute squiggly line almost the entire length of the car. Of course when I called to tell Justin, he asked how I was going so fast I didn't stop between the 2 mirrors. Ha!

So there we stopped. The girls hopped out and frolicked down into the crystal blue water. I set up our home-base and pulled out a book. Not a soul in sight but a handful of very young boys. And then I see them. A teenager and an early 20 something. They pass by politely. A few minutes later they circle back. Coming behind me...with my eye on them...they approach and I get my first indecent proposal. Needless to say I told them off and we left.

I drove home a little slower, and I will never go to the beach alone again.

No comments: